Enter the Reader, Stage Right

"All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their entrances, and their exits,
And one man in his time plays many parts."

I was once declared by a drama student to be a "Shakespeare freak" - a title I wear with pride! However, there are many, many other authors and dramatic works I love as well. This blog is dedicated to all of them, and to you, my reader, be you an aspiring actor, director, costumer, stagehand, lighting technician, props master, or audience member!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Begin at the beginning...

Shakespeare.

Shakespeare is always a good place to start. ;-) I've been interested in drama since I was little, but it was Shakespeare who really made me fall in love with literature. It was my freshman year of high school, and I was taking my very first literature class. (Homeschooled, for those of you who don't know. I took enrichment classes all throughout high school. I'm sure this will come up again.) We read a few other classics, and then we were assigned to read Macbeth. It probably wasn't the first play I'd ever read, but it was the first Shakespeare play, which opened up a whole new world for me. I was captivated. Witches, portents, plots, murder, guilt, betrayal, foreshadowing, revenge - my brain teemed with all these elements as I lived and breathed in the world of Scottish kings and noblemen. I was both enthralled and horrified by the characters of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. I volunteered to read aloud every chance I got - I even dressed up in a medieval dress I owned and wore it to class one week so I could be more "in character." (Yep, I was THAT kid. Okay, deep down, I guess I still am). Reading Macbeth was a defining moment in my life. It was the impetus that would later propel me to both my decision to study literature and my decision to teach drama. I believe that's why, even if it's not considered his "best" or "greatest" work, Macbeth will always be my favorite of all Shakespeare's plays.

Oh yes - did I mention he invented his own words? One more reason why Shakespeare is awesome. Here are just a few example of common words coined by The Bard.

‎20 Words We Owe to William Shakespeare:

1. Addiction: Othello, Act II, Scene II

2. Arch-villain: Timon of Athens, Act V, Scene I

3. Assassination: Macbeth, Act I, Scene VII

4. Bedazzled: The Taming of the Shrew, Act IV, Scene V

5. Belongings: Measure for Measure, Act I, Scene I

6. Cold-blooded: King John, Act III, Scene I

7. Dishearten: Henry V, Act IV, Scene I

8. Eventful: As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

9. Eyeball: The Tempest, Act I, Scene II

10. Fashionable: Troilus and Cressida, Act III, Scene III

11. Half-blooded/hot-blooded: King Lear, Act V, Scene III/ Act III, Scene III

12. Inaudible: All’s Well That Ends Well, Act V, Scene III

13. Ladybird: Romeo and Juliet, Act I, Scene III

14. Manager: A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act V, Scene I

15. Multitudinous: Macbeth, Act II, Scene II

16. New-fangled: Love’s Labour’s Lost, Act I, Scene I

17. Pageantry: Pericles, Prince of Tyre, Act V, Scene II

18. Scuffle: Antony and Cleopatra, Act I, Scene I

19. Swagger: Henry V, Act II, Scene IV/A Midsummer Night’s

20. Uncomfortable: Romeo and Juliet, Act IV, Scene V

For a more detailed explanation, and to view each word in context, visit this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment